Add applets menu

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Thu Jul 2 22:47:03 CEST 2009

On Jul 2, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Thomas Pf. wrote:

> I like tha look a lot as well. What still troubles me is the fact
> that the
> configuration bar is horizontal although the actual placement of the
> applets
> is vertical. I would strongly prefer it to be vertical so that when
> you want
> to place an applet below another one, you do just that instead of
> placing it
> to the right of it.
> What happened to Gary's Idea of a vertical "thumbnail bar"
> representing the CV
> that would also be used for scrolling the whole CV (there must still
> be
> several mockups of it in the mailing list archive)? As I already
> mentioned,
> that vertical bar could be used for configuration as well when set
> to "config
> mode". And if Lee could just make taller/narrower versions of the
> icons, they
> could as well be arranged vertically. They represent the applets
> very well.
> What do you guys think of it?

The problem is with vertical text. that is Bad (tm). we just finally
got rid of the vertical tabs after many years, re-introducing a
vertical applet tab-like bar is not the way to go IMHO.

the mockup that I have seen (that I like a lot) is where when you
click on the wrench, both the bottom and the left side go into "config
mode". so, the bottom would act like it does not (or similar), but on
the right edge you would get, parallel to each applet, a little resize
handle, as well as small thumbnail of the applet or whatever.

the idea being that in config mode you can resize vertically (which
makes sense), and "see" how the applets are really laid out.

leo