Summary of KDE 4.2 Release Party in Zurich

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Thu Jan 29 18:35:05 CET 2009

Hey guys,

so Myriam and I just returned from the KDE 4.2 Release Party in
Zurich, and I would like to fill you in on the latest news from there.
Here goes:

*
Event started with Aaron giving a great talk about KDE 4.2 in the
Auditorium Maximum of the renowned ETH Zurich. The talk was very well
received and successful.

*
Afterward we had beers and conversations in the university hall. I did
meet several Amarok fans who congratulated us on our project. Some of
them were very enthusiastic. I think all of you can be proud of your
work; it is being appreciated by people all around the world!

*
At this event I had the pleasure to meet Shane Coughlan from the FSFE
(official title "Freedom Task Force Coordinator" [1]). Shane is
involved in the Software Conservancy and expressed his great interest
in helping us with getting things done with the organization. Shane
was extremely friendly and appeared to really want to help us in any
possible ways to "get things going". In particular he explained that
there are ways to solve the issues with getting financial advances for
planned travels that had been a concern for us.

Shane offered solutions to get around this and other problems. He
explained that he is "very well connected" with lawyers around the
world, which could be an important asset to us. As I am not an expert
in financial and business matters, I did invite him to subscribe to
this mailing list and participate directly in the discussions around
the Conservancy. I hope this is in your interest too.

* Further on we went to a dinner with Aaron Seigo, Alexandra Leisse
from Nokia, the president of the FSFE, and others. We did have food
and good conversations about social and technical issues surrounding
KDE, Amarok, and Free Software in general. I'm asking the treasurer of
Amarok for reimbursement of the costs of this dinner, as I consider it
a business dinner and important for the project (this cost is
moderate).

* Last not least we went clubbing with Aaron, Alexandra, and the gang.
Well I guess you can imagine that we had a lot of fun with dancing and
the usual amaRoking ;)

[1] http://www.fsfeurope.org/about/coughlan/coughlan.html

--
Mark Kretschmann