Summary of board- and voting-related discussions, and what comes next

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Tue Jan 27 13:52:39 CET 2009

On 26 Jan 2009, at 13:14, Gregory Meyer wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It has been a week since the last mail on either the topic of legal
>> representation or voting systems. I think it is a good time to sum up
>> what people have said and where we can go from here.

Something just came to mind: it makes more sense (i think) to first
vote on new members before voting for the board. Otherwise it seems
like we're appointing the voters who will then vote for the board
(which may be made up of those who made the appointments).

If someone is voted to get voting powers immediately, then it is
natural that he/she should be able to vote for the board itself.

I propose instead of having a 2 week period of voting for board
nominees (which is a loong time really), we vote on new voting members
from now (as the current list is already fixed and ready) to the end
of the first week (so Feb 6th lets say), and vote on the board itself
from Feb 7th to Feb 14th.

I would like to remind people of two things:

1) the voting body is not a super cool club with private mailing lists
and private irc channels. (like the KDE e.V.)
2) there are some qualifications: basically that you have been
involved with amarok in some way (coding, community, etc) for a while,
preferable >1yr.

i say there are no "hard" qualifications because obviously as it is a
vote there is some flexibility, and if people don't feel that you have
been involved enough then the vote will not pass.

so if you would like to be included in the voting body, please email
me off-list and once

thoughts?

leo

----