Summary of board- and voting-related discussions, and what comes next

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Sun Jan 25 17:23:45 CET 2009

Hi all,

It has been a week since the last mail on either the topic of legal
representation or voting systems. I think it is a good time to sum up
what people have said and where we can go from here.

Legal structure:

Everyone seems to be in favor of using the SFC instead of doing it our
way. The main concern that I saw brought up was the fact that we can
only get reimbursed for funds, rather than just disbursing money
beforehand. However, the SFC allows us to do basically anything as
long as it is legally OK. They are not putting barriers in front of us
just because they feel like it. This means that there is a *legal
reason* for them to not be able to give us money without seeing a
receipt. This means that *even if we do it ourselves* we would be
stuck doing the same thing. So this criticism has no effect on the SFC
vs. on-our-own concept at all. As soon as we are a 501(c)(3) or have
sponsorship, we simply have some legalities that we need to follow.

Voting:

Mark is the only proponent of the 1 vote + bonus scheme. The other
person system ( how to determine length of involvement, voters don't
actually do much, unecessary complexity, loss of anonymity are some
examples ) but are all fundamentally agreed.

As more than a majority voice agrees on the 1-vote per person model,
that is the way forward. I also offer another (i think) compelling
reason: the work required to implement the more-complex 1+bonus system
is not insubstantial (if it is to be conducted anonymously). we would
need someone to volunteer for this task.

- ---------------------------

All that said, here is what comes next:

1) The voting system  itself. I'm waiting on thiago to get me the
scripts used by the e.V. to handle votes (so I can modify then and use
them). If it takes much longer I may just write a voting thing from
scratch as it has already been 2 weeks.

2) The next step on the legal front is to nominate people for the
board itself. Every person, voter and non-voter alike, can nominate up
to 5 people (this is from the original mail). Nominating will be
public. If you wish to nominate a group (or individuals) reply with
your nominations. I will keep a record of the people nominated.

3) In 1 week I'll list everyone who has been nominated. Hopefully by
then the voting system will be set up. If not, we'll delay the next
step until it is.

4) There will be a 2 week period where every voter can vote for 5
people. At the end of the 2 weeks, the 5 people with the most votes
are elected the board. (Once again, just restating our original
proposal)

Once this is complete, we're done! Woohoo! The board can make
financial decisions (in the interim, before we are officially tied
with the SFC, the board will just use their discretionary financial
powers with help from Greg).

leo
- ---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680