Switching to kde 4.2 libplasma

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 07:23:53 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 6:21 AM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
>> hey guys,
>> so kde 4.2 is coming out soon (next week i think). 4.2 includes libplasma as
>> a member of kdelibs itself with a committed and stable API. given that
>> amarok 2.1 is still a ways from release ( a few months at least ) i think it
>> would make sense to go ahead and switch to linking to the external system
>> libplasma instead of the internal copy that we have.
>> thoughts? if there are no major complaints i'll start the transition once
>> 4.2 is out.
>> leo
>> ---
>
> Oh yes, please. At the very least it will fix the issue I had with
> running amarok trunk in the home directory.
>
> I'm not sure if it was already possible or that it depends on us using
> libplasma: can we enable dragging context plasmoids to the desktop in
> 2.1?

Using the same plasma library doesn't change anything. Amarok and
plasma are separate processes. And many Amarok plasmoids link to
libamarok.

I've been using 4.2 for a while so I support the transition. I also
support waiting until 4.2 is actually out so we don't lose anyone,
which I guess is shortly.

Ian