Discussion on voting systems

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Sun Jan 18 23:12:04 CET 2009

On 18 Jan 2009, at 16:52, Seb Ruiz wrote:

> 2009/1/19 Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org>:
>> On 18 Jan 2009, at 04:39, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
>>
>> 1)
>> I came up with the more complex voting system to bring a component of
>> meritocracy into the system. That was my intention. Whether my scheme
>> is suitable for this or not is another question.
>>
>> 2)
>> I do believe that democracy is an unsuitable model for FOSS
>> development. I currently see meritocracy as the most promising model.
>> Also I believe that there are merits to the "benevolent dictator"
>> model of e.g. Linux and Python. Whether we have such a person fit for
>> this position is another question.
>>
>> Ok. For approximately the 10th time, i'm going to repeat again:
>> We are not a meritocracy. Whether or not a voter has 1 vote or 2,
>> we are not
>> a meritocracy.
>
> The Amarok project certainly is a meritocracy, from a development
> point of view. It would be unwise and naive, in my opinion, to elect
> members of a board based on these criteria, however.

a meritocracy just means that not everyone can vote. so the e.V. is
also a meritocracy.

all the proposal as it is written says is that you need to be voted in
to the body of voters. as this board (and body of voters) exists to
make financial decisions as well as legal ones, i don't see the
problem with restricting that to contributors rather than everyone who
happens to be around and wants to toss in their two cents.

leo

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680
Tufts University 2010