[Kde-scm-interest] On Amarok Switching to Git

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Sun Jan 18 17:57:39 CET 2009

Ian Monroe wrote:
>> Beyond that, I think all the other issues can be resolved "in conference"
>> with the Amarok developers.  I know Thiago isn't volunteering, but I
>> *think* there are others on the list that may have time to discuss (and
>> possibly implement) this.  I work a normal, US-Central, 40 hour week, so I
>> could only kick in 8-10 hours a week regularly, irregular hours, on the
>> weekend.  I think the Amarok team would like administrativa to have a
>> faster turn-around time *AND*
>>
>> I'm not willing to do the work unless I have a couple of people I trust to
>> add more hours.  I feel setting up a model KDE git infrastructure
>> is "full-time work" for at least a few months until things get ironed out.
>>

> Yike I hope not.  Certainly we'll need some people around who know
> what they're doing to be "on call" if there's trouble.

I would be happy to help.  I've gotten quite a lot of git experience
lately (not things like cherry-picking, but things like setting up
servers, branches, dealing with remote refs, etc.)

I'm happy to put in hours and be "on call", but I do have a full-time
job too so it will definitely be an as-I-have-time thing.  Timing wise:
I wouldn't realistically be able to put too much work into this until
mid-to-late February...Camp KDE, then a conference at work, then getting
my new server at home set up.  After that I should have more time to
work on it.

>>> The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Amarok
>>> switching to git initially before the rest of KDE. There are two
>>> primary advantages to Amarok switching to git:
>>>
>>> 1) The selfish reason: Amarok devs can finally share branches, and
>>> fully utilize the power of git.
>>> 2) The egalitarian reason: We can blaze the trail for the rest of KDE,
>>> by squashing bugs, annoyances, and generally pioneering the mass
>>> svn->git switch.

Yep.  I like that too, especially #2.  Amarokblazingatrail++

> But being "part of kde" is mostly a social and political thing. So
> like Amarok could just use github, but it'd probably be nice to use
> git.kde.org and have the user list be synced with at least all the
> svn+ssh users.

Right.

--Jeff