Discussion on voting systems

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 22:08:39 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The transition team has been discussing schemes for how to allocate
> voting power amongst the body of voters.
>
> We are bringing this out for further discussion, mostly because us 4
> have not coalesced on a single decision.
>
> The two options are as follows:
>
> 1) 1-vote per person
> 2) 1-vote + bonus per person.

Ok, I think it should be 1 person/1 vote. Voters don't actually get to
decide on much, just voting for the board and on new members. I think
the concerns that proposal 2) is trying to address can be solved by
having some clear guidelines on who should be a voting member
(something the KDE e.V. lacks, sometimes an issue). I think having a
year absolute minimum for voters, and maybe generally 2 years.

So basically I think all voting members should have a bunch of bonus
points to start with, so it doesn't make much sense.

Slightly OT: The KDE e.V. is kind of a cool-people club, I don't want
to turn the Amarok foundation into anything like that. Eg no private
mailing list. Just a board election every year. Basically being a
member is recognition of a longtime involvement, but nothing people
should feel like they're excluded from or that they have to join to
keep up-to-date with whats going on.

Ian