On Amarok Switching to Git

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 21:39:55 CET 2009

Hello,

Leo and I brought this topic up at a break a few minutes ago during
Camp KDE, and immediately Chani and Thomas jumped in. We started
discussing technical and social hurdles that have to be crossed before
all of KDE can ditch svn for good.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Amarok
switching to git initially before the rest of KDE. There are two
primary advantages to Amarok switching to git:

1) The selfish reason: Amarok devs can finally share branches, and
fully utilize the power of git.
2) The egalitarian reason: We can blaze the trail for the rest of KDE,
by squashing bugs, annoyances, and generally pioneering the mass
svn->git switch.

There has been lots of discussion on this list (scm-interest) and
actual work done regarding the switch, why don't we attempt an actual
switch using only a small subset of KDE (Amarok)?

(Please don't forget to use reply-all)

Casey Link