Report from incorporation research committee

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 00:09:00 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
> [...]
>     * Body of voters approves new members to get voting privileges.
>     * Voters vote on board members, resolutions, etc.
>
> Of course, before you can vote on new members you need a way to
> determine who the "initial" membership is going to be. In order to try
> to keep things clear and fair, a simple set of guidelines is in order:
>
>     * People who have been active contributors for over 1 year and
> are still around (just means not disappeared).
>     * People who have been active contributors for less than 1 year,
> but have been continuously actively and engaged in the community since
> then (e.g. some SoC students).
>
> That said, here is a preliminary list of voters that we feel confident
> about immediately including:
>
> Bart Cerneels
> Casey Link
> Dan Meltzer
> Greg Meyer
> Ian Monroe
> Jeff Mitchell
> Leinir Jensen
> Leo Franchi
> Lydia Pintscher
> Mark Kretschmann
> Maximilian Kossick
> Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
> Seb Ruiz
> Sven Krohlas
>
> Once we form the initial group, we will have an immediate voting round
> to include further members who are on the edge of our guidelines.
>
> We are currently discussing options for allocating voting power to
> voters. We do not wish to hold back debate on all of the things
> mentioned above, so we will continue to work out a recommendation
> privately while allowing for a group discussion of all of these
> various options.
>
> ========
> What is next
> ========
>
> Lydia is waiting on a response from the KDE e.V. board, regarding
> possible legal help and various other contributions that could help us
> in creating an e.V. in Germany.
> Jeff will talk to the SFC more about possibilities for having both a
> US-based entity and a German one. What are the possibilities regarding
> the transfer of money between them? Is that totally OK with the whole
> public charity thing?
>
> As we hear back from these pending questions, we will revise our
> recommendation to provide a more up-to-date solution. Specifically,
> once we hear back from the e.V. board we will be able to more clearly
> explain our options with regard to Germany.
>
> If there are disagreements about our proposed voting system, please
> bring them up.
>
> If there are no disagreements, or once we have reached the end of our
> discussion, we propose to move forward like so:
>
> 1) 1 week: Nomination phase: Voters and non-voters alike can nominate
> (5) people to the board
> 2) 2 weeks: Voting phase: All voters can vote for (5) people. At the
> end of 2 weeks, 5 people with most votes are the new board.

I like the voting structure. We can go ahead and do this nowish right?
Maybe we can ask Thiago to run the vote (it should be secret ballot
IMO)?

> All comments and criticisms are very welcome, we are opening this up
> to the community for further input and discussion. Remember, to state
> once again for the record, this board exists solely to deal with
> administrative and financial decisions, and NOT to decide on the
> technical aspects of the Amarok project. This board has no
> jurisdiction over the development path that the Amarok team chooses.
> It will remain in the community and the decision process will proceed
> as it always has.

The primary concern with the SFC is both the reimbursement time (the
SFLC is their day job, they do this on the side I think) and the fact
that we'd no longer be able to loan money prior to the person spending
it. Perhaps a German e.V. would give us some flexibility there. This
issue and how important US non-profit status is to us should be what
we think about.

Anyways I'm glad that the committee narrowed things down to these two
options basically. Great job folks!

Ian