GitHub

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Jan 7 20:20:16 CET 2009

Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
>>> So a contributor really can't push back into the central hub, so we'd
>>> be stuck all using the same account?
>> Yes.  When you clone your git repo that is a fork of the original,
>> you're doing an indirect cone, and you don't get the proper refs set up
>> so that you can push directly.  So you have to also have the main amarok
>> remotes/branches to push to, which makes having your own fork a moot
>> point anyways.  So if we were to use it, we'd all need to just use one
>> account (but it would keep us separate through email addresses).
>
> So in effect the "sharing an account" issue is a non-issue. We are
> effectively having different accounts, if the system distinguishes us
> (by our email addresses).

I don't understand what you mean.  I wasn't aware there was an issue
with sharing an account.

Sharing an account on Github is functionally the same to having a single
repository for a project on a non Github server.  You are always
distinguished by your name and email address (which is why those items
are required in order to even commit in Git).  You control who has
access to it by choosing which public keys you upload to Git (however,
this is the only way to control access).

--Jeff