GitHub

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Jan 7 19:46:35 CET 2009

Ian Monroe wrote:
> No one in #amarok.dev knew that. :)

The fact that people didn't remember the URL, and didn't look it up in
the email or look in their git remotes doesn't make it a problem with
the server.

> Everything I tried was password protected.

I don't know what you tried, but it's only password protected if you try
to push to it.  It's using Apache LIMIT directives in conjunction with
DAV, and GETs are not affected.

Whatever you were doing must have been really funky.  I just tried it
out now and it worked perfectly fine for me.

> So a contributor really can't push back into the central hub, so we'd
> be stuck all using the same account?

Yes.  When you clone your git repo that is a fork of the original,
you're doing an indirect cone, and you don't get the proper refs set up
so that you can push directly.  So you have to also have the main amarok
remotes/branches to push to, which makes having your own fork a moot
point anyways.  So if we were to use it, we'd all need to just use one
account (but it would keep us separate through email addresses).

See the other parts of this thread for much more detail.

> It has a nice GUI to a standard git repo as far as I can tell.

It's not too different, functionally, from gitweb.

--Jeff