GitHub

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Jan 7 16:34:29 CET 2009

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
> The main gist of the above is that I think git is likely to
> drastically reduce the transparency of the development in general. Not
> just because of the culture that git intrinsically promotes, but also
> in very large part because it will, at least for the time being be
> something that we graft on top of the main svn repo, at least unless
> we are willing to loose translations, bugfixes, and other
> collaboration with the greater KDE project.

Yes, I agree with this.  People will need two sources -- git and SVN --
to keep up with development, and some people probably won't notice that
there are both.

Plus, I think the hassle of the realities of git-svn will end up making
things quite difficult...and will take up a significant amount of one
persons' time (whoever is the stuckee to maintain the git-svn connection).

For now, whether we want to use Github or Gitorious or our own (publicly
accessible) server, I think it's only useful for hosting branches
remotely (as a backup, or to help go between two computers), for people
that have their own git-svn checkouts.  The git-svn issues will make it
very difficult to make it our primary method, unless we don't care about
updating SVN regularly.

--Jeff