Last.fm Tagging UI Issues

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 20:41:31 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
> So before I start implementing the Last.fm tagging feature I need some
> feedback about the UI.
>
> There are two options as I see it:
>
> 1) A separate "Tag Artist|Album|Track" action with an independant
> dialog. (Like the last.fm love action, but with a popup dialog)
> Pros:
> * Super Discoverable
FYI, context menu items are not super discoverable. Far from it. :D
Granted it is more discoverable then a tab in edit tags.

> * Trivial to implement so it only shows up when last.fm is enabled

Shouldn't we just implement 1.4-style labels and just push (and
possibily retrieve) the labels/tags from last.fm when that plugin is
enabled?

> Cons:
> * YACMA (Yet Another Cotext Menu Action), i.e., the size of the
> Context Menu list will be increased
>

> 2) Another Tab in "Edit Track Details"
> Pros:
> * Avoids the YACMA problem
> * This sorta existed in Amarok 1.4.. (we could re-introduce local tags?)
> Cons:
> * Not Discoverable
> * With last.fm you not only tag tracks, but artists and albums. With
> the "Edit _Track_ Details" dialog it's not clear how to tag artists
> and albums
> * Not easy to compartmentalize so it doesn't appear when last.fm is
> disabled. (i.e., last.fm code will appear in places it shouldn't)
>
> I'm leaning towards option 1. YACMA creep is a huge issue... but the
> cons of the 2nd option are too great IMHO. Hopefully someone can come
> up with a super 3rd option.

The notion of being able to tag artists, albums and tracks all
seperately is going to be confusing to have a UI for. It makes a lot
of sense to have this feature, but I wish we could simplify somehow.

Ian