Usability: Where to start?

Dan Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Thu Feb 19 11:05:05 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Ian Monroe <ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
>> <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> currently there is no playlist sorting. I have proposed that as a GSoC
>>> project.
>>
>> The UI for sorting the playlist is really going to be difficult,
>> because users can create all sorts of different types of layouts.
>
> Leinir had a plan for it back at aKademy 2007 that was actually in the
> same vein as the playlist customization. You drag columns into the
> order you want them sorted. It needs to be embeddable into the
> playlist (a dialog would suck for something like this) which might be
> tricky.

  The idea has changed somewhat since then, since yes, it no longer
makes sense in its original form. The end result is still the same
(the hierachical sort list with a bunch of tokens with arrows between
them), but you now use a ghost item for adding new items to the sort
order and dropdowns in stead of a token pool to choose the sort data.
We talked about it on channel a few nights ago and that's what we came
up with :)