Querying Collections from dbus

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:15:17 CET 2009

Definitely not a JJ in my opinion, more like a GSoC project if we want
it done right  (perhaps a generic "make the scripting + dbus API even
better" project?)

The only way I see to truly expose all of the collection framework to
scripts is to basically expose the collections and query makers
directly, which is all well and good (although it is giving scripters
a hell of a lot of rope to hang themselves with) using qtscript but
will obviously not work using DBus.

Then there is the option of actually layering SQL or something
SQL-like on top of the collection framework, and having a parser
transform that into calls to the collection/query makers (which then
in turn might make SQL of it once more, or do something completely
different). This would be very powerful, but getting it right is no
trivial task. Again possible GSoC material IMO. This would have the
added benefit of giving people and other apps a very familiar
interface to Amaroks collections. Potentially, this way, other apps
could even draw on the services for whatever nefarious purpose they
might want to do that for.

That was just the thoughts I had reading this mail in a pretty raw
form, hope its useful! :-)

- Nikolaj