Querying Collections from dbus

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 10:22:22 CET 2009

There have been quite a few requests lately for some way to query
collections  via dbus.  Mark and I discussed this a bit on IRC.

In 1.4, there was only one collection and you used SQL to query it. In
2.x we have multiple collections and they don't all use SQL - hence
the QueryMaker. Obviously to provide the most robust support to
scripters, amarok should expose some way to interact with the
querymakers for the active collections. How feasible is this? I
suspect Nikolaj and Maxx will have some clue.

Additionally, Mark stressed that a simple SQL pass-through dbus method
for the local collection would be helpful for testing and make some
people happy.

Thoughts? Any volunteers? JJ?

Casey