GSoC 2009

Alejandro Wainzinger aikawarazuni at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 20:30:01 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
> <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As you may have heard, GSoC is on again this year. Google will be
>> sponsoring about 1000 students, compared to about 1125 last year, so
>> it is slightly smaller this year, but not much.
>>
>> Considering how big a success GSoC was for us last year, I think it is
>> very important that we start thinking about what kind of projects we
>> would like to have people working on this year. Compared to last year,
>> we have a big advantage in having a much more stable foundation for
>> students to work on, so hopefully the students will be  able to get a
>> lot done. Personally I can easily come up with a ton of service
>> related projects that I would love for people to work on, and some of
>> these would be really cool, but I have a feeling that there are more
>> fundamental features that we would gain more from having students
>> working on.
>>
>> So, I guess my point of this email is to get people to list stuff that
>> Amarok 2 really _needs_ that could make for a good GSoC project.
>>

> Meta::Playlist synchronization to media devices and services and the
> similar Collection syncing.
> Part of this is also implementation of a feature of iTunes: autofill a
> mediadevice. Apple uses it for the iPod Shuffle but we would also
> target cellphones and generic usb mp3-players. This touches at least 3
> major Amarok 2 framework, so an experienced programmer with prior
> Amarok knowledge is preferred.
> I'm willing (and able) to mentor this year.

Agreed, though in general, the Media Devices code needs a lot of love.
 In the best of all worlds, I'll have enough time at some point before
the student begins to finish my huge overhaul of the code and get the
Ipod and MTP code up to speed on the features of the current versions
of their respective handling libraries.

I would like to add a few possible Media Devices projects onto this
list mass storage device support, perhaps linked in with the
synchronization idea.  I was able to implement (more or less) two
devices without a framework, but the student will have the benefit of
a framework to go from, so I think it is doable.

Whichever the project, so long as we can hook in one other media
devices person, I'm happy =)