GSoC 2009

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 18:13:12 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Meta::Playlist synchronization to media devices and services and the
>> similar Collection syncing.
>> Part of this is also implementation of a feature of iTunes: autofill a
>> mediadevice. Apple uses it for the iPod Shuffle but we would also
>> target cellphones and generic usb mp3-players. This touches at least 3
>> major Amarok 2 framework, so an experienced programmer with prior
>> Amarok knowledge is preferred.
>> I'm willing (and able) to mentor this year.
>
> Alejandro and I discussed this in detail last summer. I think this is
> a crucial, crucial feature.
>
>> p.s. who will setup a nice wiki page to collect these proposals?
> There already is one http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Proposals
>

> Another addition:
> Remote Sharing via DAAP. Both iTunes and WMP have this feature now.
> People should be able to seamlessly listen and browse tracks in
> Amaroks on the LAN. Amarok should also support the DACP remote control
> spec (http://dacp.jsharkey.org/) so people can controller amarok
> remotely from devices (i.e., cellphones).

Oh have I got good news for you.

This weekend I talked to the guys from Coherence, the UPnP framework.
Coherence is going to be used in KDE, since it has a nice DBUS API and
is very well designed.
In addition to the normal UPnP stuff Coherence also offers extra
functions like exposing DAAP, YouTube and Flickr as MediaServers with
specialized backends. But also the other way around: a client that
uses the MediaServer functionality (i.e. exposes it's contents using
Coherence) can automatically become a DAAP server.
All this is very good, since Coherence will handle all the quirks and
maintain the server and controller functionality, Amarok won't need
to.
Coherence is multi-platform and even runs on embedded, like the Nokia tablets.

Bart