Working on two versions in parallel

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Wed Dec 9 16:54:35 CET 2009

Am Wednesday 09 December 2009 schrieb Lydia Pintscher:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 16:16, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking at web.de> wrote:
> > 3)
> > #if AMAROK_VERSION >= 0x0202030
> > #warning "remove version check!"
> > // some string freeze breaking stuff here
> > #endif
> >
> > in worst case you didn't test the #ifdef'd stuff and it will break
> > compiling when you increase the version -> fix, remove warning, done =D
>
> That will still be extracted for translation for all I know. The whole
> point of having a string freeze is to not add and change any new
> strings so translators have a base to work with that is not constantly
> changing.
Sorry, i've _no_ experience with translating :-(
(But moc is similarily "dumb" regarding preproc)

The only other solution i'd know than would be

#if AMAROK_VERSION >= 0x0202030
#warning "fix i18n!"
widget->addTooltip(/*i_1_8_n*/("Untranslated text"));
#endif

As this would
- hide the untranslated text from end users,
- the string should not be extracted*, and
- when the version increases, you get an untranslated element plus a reminder
to fix it
(by harmonizing the warning or defining a specific macro one could even
systematically grep the code and fix all i18n after the version inc)

Cheers

*are the breaking underlines even required?