Multiple Databases [WAS: Re: Junior Job - external MySQL config]

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Sun Aug 30 10:28:43 CEST 2009

2009/8/30 Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>:
> You are forgetting that people might already have a database server in place.
> Since MySQL and PostgreSQL are both free software, not supporting them both
> "by design" will make some people unhappy (esp. since it a feature regression
> from 1.4). People won't switch database servers for Amarok and it is more
> likely they will dump Amarok. On the other hand, you don't have to implement
> something you are not interested in, just don't close the doors for somebody
> to come and do it.

This argument leads to a giant black hole: it does not have to be
implemented because it's free, and a patch does not have to be
accepted because it has been provided. At the end of the day we need
to make a decision which is "for the betterment of the project" - even
if that means rejecting great code because it is clear that it will
become bitrotted due to lack of maintainership. (This is not directly
related to the multidb argument, btw)

--
Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/