Multiple Databases [WAS: Re: Junior Job - external MySQL config]

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Sun Aug 30 10:22:58 CEST 2009

Hello,

On sekmadienis 30 Rugpjūtis 2009 11:14:33 Seb Ruiz wrote:

> > I'd much rather stick with one database. If we find a better solution
> > than MySQL, by all means, let's switch over completely.
>
> I agree, which is why I haven't raised much of a noise during the
> whole 2.x development about multi db.

You are forgetting that people might already have a database server in place.
Since MySQL and PostgreSQL are both free software, not supporting them both
"by design" will make some people unhappy (esp. since it a feature regression
from 1.4). People won't switch database servers for Amarok and it is more
likely they will dump Amarok. On the other hand, you don't have to implement
something you are not interested in, just don't close the doors for somebody
to come and do it.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>