About dialog openDesktop.org integration - now for "Thanks to" contributors too!

Téo Mrnjavac teo at getamarok.com
Sun Aug 23 16:55:47 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Téo Mrnjavac<teo at getamarok.com> wrote:
> Dear team,
> as you may have noticed from the commit messages and IRC activity, I
> have recently modified KAboutDialog to include openDesktop.org support
> through the OpenCollaboration Services API, and called it
> ExtendedAboutDialog for lack of a better name.
> What does this mean?
> This means that those contributors who also have Author status (and
> soon "Thanks to" contributors too) have additional extended entries
> with data downloaded from openDesktop.org that can be viewed if the
> user has internet access and an openDesktop.org account. The About
> dialog becomes a small social desktop client, and enables more direct
> interaction between the users and the team.
> This shows that there's real people working on the program, and I
> think it could do wonders for promotion.
>
> The implementation indirectly uses the OCS REST API, through the
> Attica library. Attica is an almost-library, originally developed for
> the OCS dataengine and currently in kdeplasma-addons. Though the
> dataengine is already in 4.3, the Attica library is pending review for
> inclusion into KDE 4.4. Until then, I have crudely copied over
> libAttica into our tree, to src/aboutdialog/libattica-ocsclient, like
> we did with Plasma in 2.0 times. With any luck and a lot of work, by
> 4.4 we might even have the ExtendedAboutDialog itself in kdelibs :)
> If you haven't tried it yet, screenshots are available here [1].
>
> Anyway, this email is about the data the dialog shows. As I said, it's
> downloaded from openDesktop.org, which means that if you don't have an
> openDesktop.org account, or the profile isn't very complete, then the
> data shown by the ExtendedAboutDialog will still be valid but entirely
> (or almost entirely) extracted from KAboutData, much like the old
> About dialog. While the dialog looks way cooler with actual data
> inside it, I realize that some of us dislike social networking for
> various reasons and prefer to keep their data more private, so all the
> fields shown by the ExtendedAboutDialog entries are optional: you may
> link an openDesktop.org account with your full profile, an
> openDesktop.org account with a partially filled profile, or even not
> link an account at all.
> I have started a wiki page here [2] which states some guidelines on
> how to build your openDesktop.org profile so that it looks good in the
> dialog. Since the ExtendedAboutDialog is still very much a moving
> target, these guidelines are somewhat subject to change so keep an eye
> on the page for changes :)
>
> Also, I wanted to let you know that this little project of mine is
> competing in the Social Desktop Contest on openDesktop.org and the
> deadline is August 25th (in three days), so if you have the chance it
> would be nice if you could check out the candidates [4] and give your
> [...]

Hello again
Just a quick update on openDesktop.org integration.
As of a few minutes ago, Amarok's extended about dialog [1] can show
openDesktop.org data for non-author contributors too, in a somewhat
reduced format to save space. For a screenshot, see my latest blog
entry on planet.
Check out the profile guidelines on [2] (slightly updated) and fill in
your data. I have already added some of the contributors for testing,
if you don't wish your openDesktop.org data to be displayed in the
about dialog, feel free to replace your openDesktop.org username in
main.cpp with QString().
Greetings