Code names for the Amarok 2.2 series

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sat Aug 8 12:52:12 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Seb Ruiz<ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> 2009/8/7 Myriam Schweingruber <schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch>:
>> going through a few of old Oldfield records, I came across Tubular
>> Bells II, which has a very nice track names list:
>>
>>   "Sentinel"
>>   "Dark Star"
>>   "Clear Light"
>>   "Blue Saloon"
>>   "Sunjammer"
>>   "Red Dawn"
>>   "The Bell"
>>   "Weightless"
>>   "The Great Plain"
>>   "Sunset Door"
>>   "Tattoo"
>>   "Altered State"
>>   "Maya Gold"
>>   "Moonshine"
>>
>> Pretty much all of them would make brilliant code names for the next
>> serie of releases. What do you think?
>
> I disagree. I don't like the names and I don't think that they have
> any particularly connected theme (aside from the connection to the
> album).
>
> My favourite was the 1.3 and 1.4 Airborne/Fast forward series where we
> just changed the images. I think that was effective and simple.

I like the names, but only because I'm an Oldfield fan. Most users
won't get the reference, so the names are little more than gimmicks.

Overall I agree with Seb that it's most effective to choose one name
for a whole series of releases. I recall that e.g. "Airborne" did add
a quality of branding to the 1.3 series, to some extent. In contrast I
couldn't tell you the name of 2.1.1 off the top of my head.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer