Playlist Usability Testing

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 01:12:45 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
>> This exposes the root cause for what is now a usability issue.
>> Instinctively people want to use the queue as an editor.
>> The question can be asked: when a fundamental design decision
>> conflicts with the results of a usability test, is that problem
>> solvable?
>
> Again and again Bart and I have warned about the ambiguities that the
> "Queue" feature introduces. Of course it is a usability issue. You
> cannot have a "playlist-within-a-playlist" without running into major
> usability issues. The effects of these are clearly visible now.
>
> The current playlist itself _is_ our queue. Adding any number of
> virtual playlists inside of this playlist makes it confusing.
>
> Again I challenge you to think through the following theoretical
> experiment: Imagine someone requested to add five levels of virtual
> playlists (queues) instead of one - why stop at one. You could have a
> second queue in the queue, a third one in the second queue, etc. Would
> you still find that cool?

And again and again I've refuted you.  I think that the differences
can be clarified (perhaps we need to come up with another name besides
"Queue") and perhaps this option doesn't need to be in the PUD menu
(one could just drop the files where they wanted them in the playlist
initially)--Though this doesn't deal with the interaction of "Append"
and "Random Playback" and "Queue", which is where queueing is
relatively important.

Reguardless, your responding incorrectly in this instance.  Bart
insists on using "queue" for "The Playlist" and as your reply makes
clear, this only makes things even more confusing.  Let's not use the
word "queue" for "The Playlist" ever again.  Bart is saying that
people want to use "The Playlist" as an editor for "playlists", not
that people want to use "The Queue within The Playlist" as an editor
for playlists.