Amarok support of MySQL Embedded

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Sat Sep 6 19:51:27 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Edward Hades <edward.hades at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Lenz Grimmer <lenz at mysql.com> wrote:
>> In that case it seems to be a genuine bug - sorry about that. Can you please
>> submit a report about this at http://bugs.mysql.com/ and inform me about the
>> Bug ID? You probably know better how to reproduce this problem and how to tell
>> that libmysqld lacks PIC support.
>>
>> About that second issue you mentioned (libmysqld calling exit() when
>> encountering a severe error) - this one too should be reported as a bug report
>> to us. Again, please tell me the bug ID so I can track progress and involve
>> the relevant developers. Thanks!
>
> These are the bug IDs: 39288 and 39289.
>
>> With regards to your problem with hitting the key limit in MyISAM: what does
>> your table structure look like? Do you have a diagram that outlines your DB
>> schema somewhere?
>
> Unfortunately, there's no diagram, and our schema mutates too often.
> Anyways, this problem is probably invalid, since we won't be using
> MyISAM anyways (because it requires using myisamchk upon unclean
> shutdown), so sorry for bothering.
>
> Thanks for your support, hope to hear from you soon ;)

Innodb isn't reentrant. The difference between a reentrant library and
a non-reentrant library is whether you can use it from multiple
threads or not. In our current implementation we have a mutex so that
we only use the library in one-thread-at-a-time, but we're still using
it in multiple threads. To have a dedicated thread for databases would
take a lot of work.

In short: I'm wondering if MyISAM wouldn't be a better choice.

Granted all we're working with is the one line description of the
shortcomings of MySQL embedded. A document describing threading in
mysql embedded would be nice. Especially since it never explictly says
that MyISAM is reentrant.

Ian