Release naming

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Wed Sep 3 08:07:55 CEST 2008

On 9/3/08, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> Attention,
>
>  I would like to discuss the Amarok 2 naming schemes. This is the
>  current outline.
>
>  > beta 1 tagging - Nerrivik
>  > beta 2 tagging - Jwfosygois - 1.92
>  > beta 3 tagging - Nauepfhwy - 1.94
>  > release candidate 1 tagging - Wtgjwpsu - 1.98
>  > final release - Eteuiplo - 2.0
>
>  (I masked the real release names in case they were meant to be private)
>
>  Let me just say that I don't mind the names for the betas, but I must
>  really veto these obscure names for 2.0 and post 2.0 release. Why?
>  Because I think they're akward, unknown, impossible to pronounce, and
>  meaningless to me (even though I know they are inuit godesses). I
>  would like to propose going back to the drawing board for a release
>  series name, something akin to Amarok 1.4 - Fast Forward.
>
>  No offence intended to those that spent the time and effort in
>  thinking them up, please don't take it personally.

I agree with all this.

While we're at it, I would also like to insist going back to our old
alpha/beta naming scheme, which was just that: "alpha1", "beta1", etc.

With the new system a release is both named "beta1", and "1.90". This
is confusing to everyone (including us), and doesn't even make sense
logically. 2.x is _not_ 1.x, whatever way you look at it.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer