extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/playlist

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 13:34:09 CET 2008

> I still insist that since grouping is a non-essential function of the playlist
> view, then the code should *always* err on the side of not grouping albums
> that should be grouped (false negatives), rather than grouping albums that
> shouldn't be grouped (false positives).  Does the current code group together
> albums that shouldn't be grouped?  Are these cases fixable without resorting
> to more false positives?

No, the current code ( still using pointer comparisons ) does not
group together albums that should not be grouped, but the amount of
things that should be, but are not, is considerable. Right now I am
merely going on what _feels_ the least broken, and to me that is
clearly using the album names. Even if tracks from similarly named (
but distinct ) albums are incorrectly grouped together ( something
that can be reduced significantly by checking the album name if
available ), it will still be immediately clear to the user _why_ this
happens ( hey, they have the same album name.. that is a bit silly but
sort of make sense. i.e. minor bug ) , as opposed to now where the
playlist feels broken as it does not group a bunch of cases that, from
a user perspective, should obviously be grouped ( Oh, adding this book
from librivox does not group the tracks together, even though they all
have the same album name. Hmm, this album I just added from the file
browser is not grouped either... That looks like a big bug in the
playlist  ).

As I have said many times, I am more than willing to do a popper fix,
post 2.0.0.

Also, I am not sure I agree that grouping is a non essential feature
with the new playlist design.

- Nikolaj

ps. please remember to hit reply to all ;-)