strange collection(scanner) behaviour

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Oct 24 11:43:32 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> as I wrote a few days ago to the list my collection contains a lot of
> files that it should not contain like system notification sounds and
> stuff. Mark helped trace it down to GetDirsToScan() that contains all
> directories on my system. This also slows down startup significantly.
> My whole collection is on an external disk. I have a symlink from my
> home directory to a directory on that external disk. It happens if I
> set my collection to the folder in my home dir and also if I set it
> directly to the folder on the external disk. My amarokrc currently
> contains  -1=./media/My Book/Musik. I deleted all mysqle files several
> times already so it is nothing that is left over from before.
> I just checked if it also happens in beta 2. It does. I did not notice
> this before so it might either be a regression or I just didn't notice
> it before though I doubt that as it is really annoying to have system
> notifications in dynamic mode ;-)
>
> Do you have any idea what could be wrong here? Anything I can check to
> help you find the problem?

Some more technical details:

You can find a part of Lydia's startup log here, it clearly
illustrates the problem:

http://lydiapintscher.de/tmp/amarok2.log

As you can see, getDirsToScan() lists about every directory on her
harddisk, including system folders:

amarok:               "/usr/lib/kde4/share/icons/Locolor/"
amarok:               "/usr/lib/kde4/share/icons/Locolor/16x16/"
amarok:               "/usr/lib/kde4/share/icons/Locolor/16x16/apps/"
amarok:               "/usr/lib/kde4/share/icons/Locolor/32x32/"

And then we can see that the whole operation takes over one minute:

amarok: END__: void ScanManager::startIncrementalScan() - Took 65s

I've looked at getDirsToScan() and tried to think of an explanation
for the behavior, but I'm really clueless as to what's going on. Also
I could not reproduce the problem here on my computer, much as I
tried.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer