For rokymotion

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Thu Nov 20 17:42:13 CET 2008

Big O wrote:
> As for ipod support, I don't know how it works and I don't package it
> up. Until someone else tells me it does work I've no plans to do so.
> This is all moot however as there is no solid for os x/windows so, big
> fail for devices right there.

Unless we hack around it.  But you're right...there isn't enough
visibility on Windows/OS X of KDE to get anyone with experience
interested in Solid.

If one of us tackles that (I sort of kind of started a Solid on
Windows), we'd only need to get enough of it working for our needs,
which isn't all that much.

> My point: device support will lag behind on those platforms and itunes
> does, and likely always will do, a better job of managing the ipod
> than anything that isn't itunes ever will. let's not let device
> support be a deciding factor on promotion of amarok.

We don't need it to be.  You're taking one of the things I mentioned in
an example list and stretching it rather far.

That being said, nothing needs to do a better job of managing an iPod
than iTunes, but a lot of people won't give up iTunes for Amarok if they
have to switch back and forth and keep up two media libraries to synch
their iPod anyways.

--Jeff