Future UI Discussion

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:22:20 CET 2008

On Nov 20, 2008, at 5:22 AM, Mark Kretschmann wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Lee Olson <leetolson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Seeing as the user interface has been a pretty hot topic lately, I
>> decided I
>> would go ahead and create a mockup which should hopefully resolve
>> some of
>> the issues stated in the "About Amarok's interface design" thread.
>>
>> Please take a look at the attachment (which contains various minor
>> changes,
>> which are not quite perfect yet) and reply to this thread with
>> ideas /
>> comments that we can use in the future of Amarok's design. Please
>> keep in
>> mind that this is a long-term project and will be worked on step-by-
>> step to
>> achieve something that a majority can agree with.
>>
>> Hopefully this mockup will provide as a good visual that we can
>> discuss and
>> step-by-step, create a nice interface without completing another full
>> overhaul.
>
> Thanks for your mockup. I have to say I much prefer Nuno's original
> "overlapping" design for the control buttons. It gives Amarok 2 a
> unique look, almost like a logo. And I don't see major usability
> issues with it.
When half the people are saying they hate it and the other half are
saying "look, it makes us unique!" and no one is actually saying they
like it, I do believe we have a problem.
Who actually LIKES how that thing looks right now? If it stays it's
not going to stop _me_ from using Amarok, but I would like to see it
go and think amarok looks WAY better without it. The CV gives us more
than enough uniqueness.