Some more missing icons

Big O illogical1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 15:17:43 CET 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Lee Olson <leetolson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Casey,
>
> Attached is a preview of the needed icons. Hopefully they're close to what
> you had in mind. Feel free to provide suggestions and/or comments. Thanks!
>
> - Lee
Hi Lee,
First of all I'd like to say thanks for the icons. I believe that
providing a good, polished artwork for the Amarok 2.0 release is going
to be an important factor in the adoption of other platforms.
I do however have some issues with some of the icons :-)

General comments
Some icons have the white "canvass" behind them while others do not.
This mixture makes the whole thing inconsistent. They should either
all have it or not. I favor not having it because these aren't
filetype icons. The actual filetype icon would also need to have this
removed for visual consistency.  Speaking of which...

Filetype
I believe the addition of the disc in the filetype icon is unnecessary.

Genre
The Genre icon is a guy with spiky hair. I really don't see the
connection visually, metaphorically or otherwise between this
illustration and "type of music". I think we might as well just have a
graphic for the word "genre" if we can't come up with an apt
representation. An idea _I_ have for a visual metaphor for the "genre"
is an alternate representation of the artist. I'm thinking 3 artist
icons overlayed in a triangular pattern. Different colors would be
used for each (RGB?) to distinguish them as similar but distinct
entities (hey, we're all music, but we're all different types of
music. yay!) I'll note that while I think the idea is good, my
artisitic vision might be lacking. Don't feel married to the colors,
layout etc. The main idea is multiple artists icons that are distinct.
Alternatively, we could use a music symbol, or an artist + a music
symbol like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Music-quindicesimabassa.png.

Year
Can not say 2008 :-) Can't say 2009 either. I think a more detailed
calendar icon (there must be one in oxygen somewhere) is in order
here. I think a better idea for this icon is a calendar showing the
days of a month. I think it would be really cool to have the calender
be of the month amarok 2 is going to be released, with the date
circled in red. :-) Perhaps there are better places than the "Year"
icon where that would work however.

Track and Title
Polish, polish, polish :-)

Composer
Love the idea. Mad props on that son! However (this might be a
recurring theme) the icon doesn't fit in well with the others. Of
course you're probably just doing quick mockups, before dedicated time
to a complete version so that's ok.

Ignore
The big red stop sign... a bit inappropriate here I think. This is
synonymous with "bad things happening" on the computer so we should
find something more neutral to represent this benign action.

Icon size
The size in the previews are a bit small. Are these at the actual
sizes you'll be providing the finished artwork?

_, - , ., <space> , /
With respect, these just don't look very good.

Disc number
Could you try to this with two discs overlapping instead. I think
having multiple discs here gets the point across nicely.

If I'm to be honest I think the icons are a mixed bag. Some like nice,
some OK and other are just huh (_, - , ., <space> , /).
Hopefully these comments can guide your hand it some more beautiful
creations :-)

For the rest of developers wishing to comment remember: Use the carrot
not the stick, you insensitive dolt!
Thank you, that is all. :-)
--
All your gmail are belong to us.