add applets dialogue

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 20:00:32 CEST 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Ian Monroe wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
>> 2008/6/18 Lydia Pintscher <lydia.pintscher at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Of course we need to come up with something like that.
>>> Maybe Leinir has a good idea.

>>> Which is why I said a default set of applet that is activated on
>>> first
>>> startup would be a good idea.
>>> I think we all agree, that having an empty context view at the
>>> begining is not a good idea.
>>
>> I think we should do something similar to Amarok 1.4:
>>
>> If there is no collection, display an info box prompting the user
>> to create one
>>
>> Otherwise, display collection statistics such as newest albums,
>> highest rated songs, etc.
>>

> I pretty much agree here. I'm not going to say that 95% of our users
> will never want to customize what plasmoids are being displayed, but I
> think most users should never need this functionality since our
> defaults should be good enough.
>
> We really need to remember that the contextview is not the desktop. We
> don't need custom plasmas to be uber-discoverable like the desktop is
> with the cashew. We do need to make sure that the contextview is good
> at showing stuff related to the context. For things that a user might
> want sometimes but not all the time (eg Lyrics and Wikipedia page) we
> need to think of a smarter solution then a Add Widget dialog.

So integrating suggestions from
seb + bart: If there's no collection have a "First run applet"

The first run applet could: 1) Inform the user that a collection needs
to be created
"Hey, welcome to Amarok, let's get started by adding some music"
(big, ugly, green, kde SVG "+" sign underneath which adds collection
dirs)

The applet could have a second section underneath
"Let's setup the Context View right now"
which could add some default applets (now playing + video)
or add a link to the playlist with a first run screencast plus the
video applet.

Instead of having the cashew I prefer having a section of the context
view (bottom) show an anmated overlay of Add and Remove buttons. Much
like the cashew but less cashew-looking.  The Remove buttons purpose
would be to remove the currently active applet and the purpose of both
would be mentioned in the first run screencast.