add applets dialogue

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Jun 18 16:00:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:19 AM, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> 2008/6/18 Lydia Pintscher <lydia.pintscher at gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:06, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>>> Careful, young padawans. Before you remove it, you must come up with a
>>> solution for the discoverability problem: Right-clicking context view
>>> for adding applets is _not obvious_.
>>
>> Of course we need to come up with something like that.
>> Maybe Leinir has a good idea.
>>
>>> Additionally, a fresh Amarok 2 installation comes with no active
>>> applets at all. This means you're staring at mostly empty GUI.
>>
>> Which is why I said a default set of applet that is activated on first
>> startup would be a good idea.
>> I think we all agree, that having an empty context view at the
>> begining is not a good idea.
>
> I think we should do something similar to Amarok 1.4:
>
> If there is no collection, display an info box prompting the user to create one
>
> Otherwise, display collection statistics such as newest albums,
> highest rated songs, etc.

I pretty much agree here. I'm not going to say that 95% of our users
will never want to customize what plasmoids are being displayed, but I
think most users should never need this functionality since our
defaults should be good enough.

We really need to remember that the contextview is not the desktop. We
don't need custom plasmas to be uber-discoverable like the desktop is
with the cashew. We do need to make sure that the contextview is good
at showing stuff related to the context. For things that a user might
want sometimes but not all the time (eg Lyrics and Wikipedia page) we
need to think of a smarter solution then a Add Widget dialog.

Ian