RFC: Amarok 2.0 deadline September, 1

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 15:29:11 CEST 2008

On 6/12/08, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On 6/12/08, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > So when would feature freeze occur?
>>
>> I would suggest that
>>
>>  A: We don't freeze trunk, but keep it open for the GSoC'ers and
>>  instead make a release branch. If any GSoC projects come up with
>>  release quality code after that time, we can always make exceptions.
>
> Trunk should always be where the main focus is on, and so I'd suggest
> doing it the other way around: Let the SoCers work in (git?) branches,
> while trunk is being shaped into 2.0.

just as an experience from last year, merging a major feature branch
back to trunk in svn in pretty much a nightmare. it took me many hours
to get it to work ok.

git branches, though, i guess could work. this would require us making
sure that all our SoCers get comfortable with git-svn and friends
(which i know at least is sometimes easier said than done).

>>  B: that feature freeze is in the beginning of July! This will give us
>>  just under 2 months to get this beast stable.
>
> Yep. We don't have to be anal about it (common sense first!), but I
> agree that we should definitely start focusing on bug fixing. But if
> someone adds this or that small feature after the freeze, nobody is
> going to make a big fuss about it.

if we feature freeze in july, we are going to be cutting off all the
SoC work until amarok 2.1. which could be totally fine---even though
personally I think a lot of the SoC projects are essential to amarok
2.0 (CV, scripting, playlists).

do we want to do that?

leo

Leo Franchi
7016 Wandering Oak          lfranchi at kde.org
Austin                        leonardo.franchi at tufts.edu
                  cell: (650) 704 3680
TX, USA                              home: (650) 329 0125