Artwork direction for 2.0

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 09:27:04 CET 2008

This mail is mainly a probe to see if we have a consensus about the
artwork direction of the initial 2.0 release. It is mainly inspired by
the discussions about widgets vs plasma that has been happening over
the last couple of days. All opinions expressed are solely my own! :-)

Note that whatever happens post 2.0 is completely beyond the scope of this mail.

With the Graywolf theme ( should really be renamed to Chameleon now...
) and the color tinting prototype, I am quite confident that we can
achieve, if not a perfect match on each platform and desktop color
scheme, then at least something that should not suffer from "sore
thumb syndrome". Clearly the theme needs tweaks, fixes and polish, but
overall I think it is a sane direction. So what I am trying to figure
out, and have been unable to really tell from irc, is whether people
agree that this looks is ok and is "good enough" a base for the
overall look and feel of Amarok 2.0?

That said, this looks represents a lot of work by especially leeo but
also myself, and I really feel that it represents our best effort. So
if it is decided that this is not the look we are aiming for, I would
greatly appreciate if someone else would take over as the "artwork
coordinator" as I have spent a lot of time on this already and would
like to focus on other areas of Amarok 2. If we decide to commit to
this look for 2.0, I will try my best to get it polished for a
release.

So, thought, opinions, flames....?

- Nikolaj