Databases in 2.0

Sven Krohlas sven at asbest-online.de
Mon Feb 25 15:39:29 CET 2008

Hi,

at FOSDEM Nikolaj and I had the chance to talk to Lenz Grimmer,
Community Relations Manager from MySQL GmbH in Germany.

Currently I had the impression, that we want to switch to SQLite
alone but after talking to him I think MySQL Embedded will be the
best solution.

It seems to offer:
*same performance as MySQL (as it is using the same code, as far as
I understood him, Nikolaj may have details here)
*runs with Linux, Windows, Mac
*it is easily able to use a real server, so collection sharing would
still be possible (moving the database to a real server just means
copying the local files to it).
*it is also GPL licensed

So, in short it seems to bring the pros of sqlite and MySQL together.

They also offer assistance finding the best database file format and
might give us other tipps for our use case to help us getting it as
fast as possible.

I have Lenzs card here, so if we decide to have a closer look I can
call him.

cu
--
http://krohlas.de/blog/?eid=76