New internet domains for the Amarok project

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Feb 1 00:53:18 CET 2008

On 1/31/08, Harald Sitter <sitter.harald at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyways, website names ain't that important. We could actually use
> mywolfiscalledamarokanditisamusicplayer.com
>
> Mostly because, to get back on Ian's intelligence, of searchy things
> like ... behold..  the google. One does not go directly head to a
> website if the domain is not something like sit.com and provides
> content which would encourage regular visit... for the average stuff
> you go for a ride on the google, to get faster through the internets.
>
> So being #1 search hit for "amarok" on the major search providers is
> much more important than blasting money on _one_ domain.

While I agree that search engines are becoming more important for
finding a project's domain, I still very much disagree with what
you've said overall. The domain not only functions as a hub for
information gathering, but also as an important part of the project's
public image.

Let's imagine for a second that the Microsoft homepage was actually
the-microsoft-project.com. Can you really imagine this without
chuckling? Or how about lastfm.cbs.com?

A domain is automatically linked to the image of a project, and it's
just natural that we expect important projects to have a meaningful
and short URL. In fact many businesses are even starting to name their
company after their domain.

--
Mark