The releases after 2.0 and string changes..

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Thu Dec 4 22:38:51 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why can't we simply revert to the 1.4 release model? I like the idea
>> of simply piling straight onto 2.0, features, bugfixes and all.
>> Translations would suffer, but this is something that we've always
>> dealt with and would become less and less of an issue as time passes.
>>
>> I don't want to have to wait another 6 weeks to start developing
>> features and getting them into trunk and tested.
>
> Because a feature free for all right after 2.0.0 is tagged would mean
> no bugfix releases for quite some time as many of us have all kinds of
> interesting features lying around and stabilizing this stuff will take
> some time ( during which other swill start working on other new
> features and so on. I really don't much feel like waiting much longer
> either but I think that allowing ourselves to very quickly respond to
> the initial issues that _will_ get reported after 2.0.0 is released
> wills ave us tons of trouble in the long run.
>
> At least that is my take. Later on, by all means, we should have a
> much more flexible way of doing stuff.

What Nikolaj said, and then there is also Git coming into the
equation, which we didn't have in 1.x times. So we can still happily
develop new features in parallel, while focusing on bugs in SVN trunk
for a short while.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer