Status of mysqle

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Wed Aug 27 20:32:00 CEST 2008

On Aug 27, 2008, at 1:29 PM, Ian Monroe wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Casey Link
> <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As long as the change comes soon-ish. Users with large collections
>> (me
>> included) suffer greatly when forced to use sqllite.
>
> Do you really? I would feel more motivated to work on this if I knew
> for sure.
>
>> Also, there is another feature regresion that I haven't seen
>> mentioned
>> yet. With 2.0 users won't be able to share their collections across
>> multiple computers while keeping their collection database on one
>> machine. And the answer to this isn't "Use ampache", because (1)
>> Ampache is much more overhead (php, httpd, etc), (2) the Ampache
>> service isn't a fully supported collection in terms of the Query
>> Maker. That is, Ampache tracks can't be used universally in
>> playlists,
>> dynamic playlists, etc.
>
> We already talking about this in IRC. This never worked.
>
> As far as the main question about whether to do mysqle:
> In my opinion, before 2.0 is still better then between 2.1 and 2.0,
> even at this late in the game.

This is also still all speculation, i think since we don't know how
Edward is actually progressing (or if he is at all).

So it seems to me we need to actually learn where we are, how far we
are from getting a working mysql-e, and if it is worth us focusing our
time on that to get it ready for 2.0.

leo

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680