Status of mysqle

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Aug 27 20:29:33 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
> As long as the change comes soon-ish. Users with large collections (me
> included) suffer greatly when forced to use sqllite.

Do you really? I would feel more motivated to work on this if I knew for sure.

> Also, there is another feature regresion that I haven't seen mentioned
> yet. With 2.0 users won't be able to share their collections across
> multiple computers while keeping their collection database on one
> machine. And the answer to this isn't "Use ampache", because (1)
> Ampache is much more overhead (php, httpd, etc), (2) the Ampache
> service isn't a fully supported collection in terms of the Query
> Maker. That is, Ampache tracks can't be used universally in playlists,
> dynamic playlists, etc.

We already talking about this in IRC. This never worked.

As far as the main question about whether to do mysqle:
In my opinion, before 2.0 is still better then between 2.1 and 2.0,
even at this late in the game.

I really don't think we're using much sqlite specific stuff. If we
were switching the other direction I would be more worried. So I don't
really forsee any SQL-related regressions.

Build issues are another matter. :D Luckly thats about the least
severe sort of issue and all the betas are a real help with build
problems (eg distro maintainers will help figure them out).

Ian