extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Apr 29 00:29:46 CEST 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 28 April 2008, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> >> Would it be better to use kfmclient and/or patch it to use xdg-open, and have
> >> it handle the foo on Windows?
> >
> > Patching kfmclient to use xdg-open? This makes no sense. xdg-open uses kfmclient,
> > so this idea would make the whole thing loop forever :)
> >
> > kfmclient == kde-specific, xdg-open == desktop-independent.
>
> Err, so that doesn't make sense.  Wouldn't you want to set your
> preferences in a desktop-independent manner, and have kfmclient honor
> them?  Admittedly I don't know much of anything about xdg-open, but I do
> know it's the desktop-independent analogue, which makes me think that
> kfmclient should use it, not the other way around.

How do you think xdg-open can implement "open a page in konqueror"?
It needs to use kfmclient for that - which, as the name indicates (well, with
some historical baggage :), is the client for talking to konqueror.
Please, please, open xdg-open in a text editor, I think it will make the overall picture clearer ;)
It's just a shell script which delegates the actual work to desktop-specific tools -- like kfmclient.
=> If you want a desktop-independent solution, just call xdg-open.