New website theme, when to roll out?

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Wed Apr 9 21:46:47 CEST 2008

Heya,

emunkki (Pasi Lallinaho) has designed a new website theme for us. It's
been worked on for quite a while and went through many iterations, and
I think the latest mockup looks really neat:

http://projects.knome.ath.cx/amarok/WWW/

In my opinion this design is way better than our current old and
trusty design, and we should roll it out ASAP (as soon as the details
have been worked out).

Now a heated discussion has started about the right time for going
live with the new theme. I (and also Ian Monroe) would like to see
this implemented soon. Let me summarize our reasons:

1) Release early, release often
2) The old site is getting *very* long in the tooth. It demotivates me
just to look at it.
3) The new theme seems ready to go, design wise.
4) New site can provide us with some extra PR buzz, independent of the
Amarok 2.0 release.

However, some Amarokers oppose this plan; E.g. Lydia and Harald would
like to wait until the Amarok 2.0 release to roll out the new theme.
They believe everything has to be perfectly fine tuned (like adapting
the wiki and forum themes), and that it would create better PR to
release the new theme along with Amarok 2.0 final (which as we all
know will take quite some time).

I've become a bit tired of discussing this on IRC, so I'd like us to
make a decision here. Please voice your opinion :)

--
Mark