Ampache service, was: Re: extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Maximilian Kossick maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:15:05 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Max Kossick wrote:
>  >  >  >   The idea is
>  >  >  >  network-transparency of music: it should not matter where the music is
>  >  >  >  stored, Amarok will be able to play it just like local music. And part
>  >  >  >  of that network transparency is the ability to use smart playlists to
>  >  >  >  play songs from Amarok. I still do not get what you think the
>  >  >  >  conceptual difference between Ampache and DAAP is. It's simply remote
>  >  >  >  storage for music. Nothing more, nothing less.
>  >
>  >  Well said! This is very much in tune with my own vision for Amarok 2.
>  >

>  In that case, you will have to get someone to improve the Ampache API
>  and the Ampache service. I do not know if the student who originally
>  proposed to work on the Ampache service is interested in this as that
>  is pretty far from what he applied for.
>
>  My big problem now is, what about services where it is simply not
>  possible to make the QueryMaker flexible enough to fulfill the
>  requirements or use in Smart/Dynamic playlists? Because of the way
>  some of them work, or the API's they are based on ( that we cannot
>  change in the same way as the Ampache one ) reaching this level of
>  integration will simply not be possible for many services, and will
>  not make sense for others. Should we discard these completely? If not,
>  how do we explain this difference to the user?
>
>  I cannot help but feel that my ideas and vision which has carried the
>  service framework and most of the services this far, are being pretty
>  lightly brushed aside at the moment as everyone all of a sudden has an
>  opinion on what is most important for the services... :-(
>
>  As I have written before, I am in no way opposed to making a project
>  that improves the Ampache API and the service enough that it can be
>  used as a first class collection in Amarok 2, but I am finding it very
>  hard to accept that the general consensus seems to be that this has to
>  come at the cost of my ideas, and the project that a student has
>  applied for to implement these.

Maybe it's a good idea to take a step back and compare notes: Nikolaj,
can you give us a short summary of your vision for the service
framework? I do not think that we have different visions, only
slightly different priorities.

Quick note about my vision of Amarok: it's not only
network-transparency, but the source of the music should generally be
transparent to the user. Network-transparency does not include
media-devices after all:)

Max