Ampache service, was: Re: extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:46:25 CEST 2008

> > Max Kossick wrote:
>  >  >   The idea is
>  >  >  network-transparency of music: it should not matter where the music is
>  >  >  stored, Amarok will be able to play it just like local music. And part
>  >  >  of that network transparency is the ability to use smart playlists to
>  >  >  play songs from Amarok. I still do not get what you think the
>  >  >  conceptual difference between Ampache and DAAP is. It's simply remote
>  >  >  storage for music. Nothing more, nothing less.
>
>  Well said! This is very much in tune with my own vision for Amarok 2.

In that case, you will have to get someone to improve the Ampache API
and the Ampache service. I do not know if the student who originally
proposed to work on the Ampache service is interested in this as that
is pretty far from what he applied for.

My big problem now is, what about services where it is simply not
possible to make the QueryMaker flexible enough to fulfill the
requirements or use in Smart/Dynamic playlists? Because of the way
some of them work, or the API's they are based on ( that we cannot
change in the same way as the Ampache one ) reaching this level of
integration will simply not be possible for many services, and will
not make sense for others. Should we discard these completely? If not,
how do we explain this difference to the user?

I cannot help but feel that my ideas and vision which has carried the
service framework and most of the services this far, are being pretty
lightly brushed aside at the moment as everyone all of a sudden has an
opinion on what is most important for the services... :-(

As I have written before, I am in no way opposed to making a project
that improves the Ampache API and the service enough that it can be
used as a first class collection in Amarok 2, but I am finding it very
hard to accept that the general consensus seems to be that this has to
come at the cost of my ideas, and the project that a student has
applied for to implement these.

- Nikolaj