extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Oct 12 04:35:14 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Ian Monroe wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Tobias G. Pfeiffer <tgpfeiffer at web.de> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Tuesday 02 October 2007, 10:53, Maximilian Kossick wrote:
> > > Isn't the current playlist supposed to be stored in the db anyway?
> >
> > Would that mean that multiple clients sharing the same database (e.g. via
> > MySQL) always had the same playlist? Is that intended?
> >
> > Bye
> > Tobias
>
> People talk about multiple clients as if it works, with dynamic
> collections I really doubt anyone actually does this since it'd be
> near impossible to get right (it was always a hack). And as Max points
> out, we might not even support remote collections.

Well, I actually do use it and it works just fine.

I have a server connected via copper to a shared network drive.  Another
computer is a laptop that is sometimes at home and sometimes not, but is on a
wireless connection.  In both cases, the music share is mounted
at /mnt/music.

When I am home, I point my Amarok database at my servers MySQL database.
Statistics work fine, I get my full collection, etc etc etc.  When I'm on the
road, I point Amarok at the laptop's MySQL server, which has the scan results
for the music on my laptop, which is a subset of my whole collection.

Sure, I could use Dynamic Collections for this, but then I'd have duplicate
music in my collection from the local and shared folders.

--Jeff