Collection View/Playlist Ideas

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Fri May 11 17:21:46 CEST 2007

These are neat mockups Jeff.

On 5/11/07, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
> 1)  Mouse navigation through the collection view and playlist:
> http://www.jefferai.com/amarok/collectionviewpics/mousenav.png

When I saw this I started thinking of this program I installed
yesterday called dasher. Dasher is a form of text input that uses your
mouse (useful for people with disabilities or keyboardless devices) to
navigate through all possible words. There isn't a scollbar at all. A
Google TechTalk by one of its creators is at:

Anyways, there's packages for Kubuntu and ebuilds for Gentoo, play
around with it to see what I mean. Obviously we don't want to spell
out words, but the way it makes parts bigger as you approach them etc.
is something that could be played with.

I think it makes more sense for the collection. We're not optimizing
the playlist UI for large playlists, but short ones.

> 2) (Part 1) Collection Grouping
> http://www.jefferai.com/amarok/collectionviewpics/collmenus1.png

These buttons actually have the functionality of tabs, so they
probably should just be tabs at the top. We could probably get it down
to like three tabs.

> 3) (Part 2) The "Pop-Up Dropper"
> http://www.jefferai.com/amarok/collectionviewpics/collmenus2.png

Like everyone else, I think this is cool. If you want to drag all the
way to the playlist you still can. Pretty much the only time I drop
something within a playlist is to drop it immediately after a
currently playing song, and that could be an option.

> 4) (Part 3) Other thoughts
> http://www.jefferai.com/amarok/collectionviewpics/collmenus3.png
>
> --Jeff

One advantage of the (many) advantages of the whole model/view thing
is that we can actually play around with this stuff without having to
fully invest ourselves in it.

Ian