disabling crashhandler in trunk.

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 21:29:07 CET 2007

Hey,

During porting I changed crashhandler to dump output to stdout instead
of  trying to invoke a mail client as a temporary thing until things
got closer to working.  After a while, I'm starting to not like this
that much.  For some reason the crashhandler is a whole lot more
resource intensive in trunk, and takes a lot longer to run--A lot of
things cause crashes as well.  Due to this, a lot of time can be spent
waiting for amarok to finish crashing in order to test whatever it is
one is working on.  I'd like to propose that we disable the
crashhandler completely in trunk for now.

1) running gdb against amarokapp manually gives more control anyways
if one is working against a crash
2) We have no real user base that would be able to benefit from having
it dumped automagically.
3) It allows for the act of running gdb against amarok to be
optional--isntead of a resource heavy ordeal that happens a lot right
now.

Of course, the best thing to do would be to determine what is is that
causes gdb to take so much longer to load symbols for amarok2 than for
amarok1.4.. and make the debugging work a bunch faster.  That may not
be something to worry about at this point however, which is why I'm
wondering about disabling the crashhandler completly.

Opinions?

Dan.