Center View and Music store integration

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:46:38 CET 2007

On 2/28/07, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is related to the results of the FOSDEM brainstorm session, mainly the
> Context View idea, which I'm re-branding the Center Pane.
>
> Now that the context browser is in the center and always visible it might be
> a opportunity to rethink it's concept.
> This is related to music stores because I don't think the current tree view
> browser will scale when music stores get a bigger catalog. Consider a music
> store that has a web-like interface, it's easier to browse, looks better,
> albumart, browsing through a catalog based on related artists, genres,
> recommendations, etc.
> To implement a store like that we need screen real estate. The only place I
> can think of that we have that is in the center pane.

I have to disagree with this as well.
Amarok has always had a three step approach to dealing with music:
1)User finds music in browsers
2)User appends music to playlist
3)User views information about music in context

The ui changes were made to facilitate this.  The context is Amarok's
greatest feature, we don't want the center tab flooded with all sorts
of ancilliary information.  Videos and visualizations are both a form
of context, music stores are not.

We also have the whole idea of one way to find music.  Collection,
media devices, and the music stores right now all have a similar
layout.  I agree that a 10,000 node tree could be problematic--perhaps
we shoould brainstorm various ways to organize a musicstore at a top
level besides artist?  Genre is one.. what other ways would you search
for music if you wanted to find a new artist?

Furthermore, putting the music store in the context browser would
basically be just adding another khtmlpart tab to the browser, and
letting the user browse their site.  Thats not really integration,
thats more of a built in browser (hello songbird).