Center View and Music store integration

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Thu Mar 1 10:35:16 CET 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 04:43, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Bart Cerneels wrote:
> > Now what is interesting is that, when implemented right, context and
> > music stores are just themes for the Center Pane. A reminder: Themes
> > control Widget that display data supplied by Scripts.
>
> One thing I want to mention is that I think a more appropriate term is
> that display data, including music stores, would be supplied by
> Plugins.  I don't think we should limit ourselves to scripts, in
> whatever language; I think we should also try to allow compiled C++
> plugins.  For many things they are faster (and for some things, like
> devices, they may be necessary).
>
> As time permits I'm still slowly ironing out a proposal for a plugin
> system that would allow discovery of plugin capabilities, and even allow
> plugins to interact with each other.  Time is still short, until at
> least mid-March, and I am also finishing up the colored stars code for
> review (nearly there), but it is a priority since we're getting heavy
> into design and I hope to have something preliminary soon that can be
> ripped to shreds, more or less lovingly, by you all.

Jeff, we've never talked about this on the list, but there was pretty strong
resistance against this plugin framework you proposed. I, for one, am
strictly against allowing external binary plugins in Amarok.

Also I don't think we need this kind of fine grained plugin capability system.
From your initial mail it sounded much like you wanted to turn Amarok into a
plugin shell, much like Foobar2000, with extreme flexibility. I don't think
we need, nor do we want, this kind of flexibility. It's not one of Amarok's
design goals.

--
Mark